Monday, March 21, 2011

SEU Homecoming Week

St. Edward’s University held its annual homecoming week from February 20th through the 27th, consisting of week-long festivities. Homecoming week was kicked off with the appropriately and cleverly named kickoff party on the 21st, though the dodgeball tournament was held the day before on the 20th. Also on the 21st was the window painting contest for each of the homecoming groups. Shown here is the window that the group, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, painted in the Hunt Hall café. Each group consisted of a campus organization trying to win each contest held during homecoming week.
            Some of the contests were the ice cream eating contest, jingle contest, and a dodgeball tournament, with the Hilltop Leadership Development taking home the top prize over the St. Edward’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
The festivities included a huge setup in the middle of campus in front of the Ragsdale building. The setup included a tent with a table underneath and balloons to decorate. Free refreshments were offered to all students. Also in front of Ragsdale was a giant inflatable Hilltopper, representing the school mascot, topper, with his thumbs raised. But perhaps the biggest crowd attracting event was the Men’s basketball game against University of Texas Permian Basin. The Hilltoppers led by as many as 17, but squandered the lead by the end of the game. The game was a thrilling game with the score tight close to the end of regulation, and so the game went to the first of two overtimes. Then UT Permian Basin relied on St. Edward’s rotten luck with Elijah Jordan draining a half court shot at the buzzer to stun the Hilltoppers, 96-95.
“It was unlike anything I have ever seen,” said Sammy Bissett, a spectator at the basketball game. “He was a foot behind the half court line and the crowd was stunned. Everyone in the building had their hands on their head or over their face.”
            The Hilltoppers’ Shimeek Johnson (Albany, NY) scored a career high 30 in the double overtime thriller and lead the Toppers to a large lead in the second half. But through determination the University of Texas Permian Basin came back and tied the game with seconds to go in regulation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment